The LGA licenses raffles to ensure that it is legal for Manitobans to participate. Licences are required for any raffle that has a cost to play, a chance to win and a prize offered. Individuals and groups who are planning a one-time social event at a public place of amusement such as a banquet hall, restaurant, bar or community centre, and want to have a raffle such as a 50/50 or player’s choice at the event, are required to apply for a social occasion raffle licence.
You can apply for a social occasion raffle licence:
- online at MyLGA.ca
- at any Liquor Mart, liquor vendor or specialty wine store as part of your social occasion liquor permit application. Click here for information about social occasion liquor permits.
- by printing and completing the social occasion raffle application and submitting it to:
Liquor and Gaming Authority of Manitoba
Garry Street Office (Head office and gaming services)
800-215 Garry Street
Winnipeg, MB R3C 3P3
Fax: 204-954-9450 or Toll-free fax: 1-866-999-6688
There is no charge to apply for the social occasion raffle licence and no financial reporting is required. Your application will be processed in approximately 2 to 3 business days after we receive it.
Your approved social occasion permit or social occasion raffle licence allows you to hold your raffle with the following requirements:
- The amount or value of each prize awarded must not exceed $500.
- Each ticket must not be sold for more than $2.
- Revenue from each draw must not exceed $10,000.
- The raffle must be held at a one-time social event at a public place of amusement.
- All ticket sales, draws and prize awards must take place at the event.
The LGA receives many questions from individuals and groups who want to clarify that their social occasion fundraising follows Manitoba’s laws. Click here to view the current “top three” questions about drinks or drink tickets as prizes, and about the types of games that can be licensed for social occasion events.