The application asks for the name of the premises where the event is being held. Why does it matter where I hold my event?

Federal law in Canada is specific about how and where gaming activities can take place. For individuals and groups, that are not bona fide charitable or religious organizations, raffles are only licensed for one-time social events and must be held in certain types of locations that are leased for the purpose of holding the event.

The law calls these locations “public places of amusement”. In Manitoba, this is defined as a place that is leased or used for an event and for which an admission fee is typically charged, such as a theatre, community hall, church, hockey rink or school. Banquet halls, hotels or restaurants are other examples of locations that would be considered as an eligible location.