Social Occasion Permit

A social occasion permit is required if you are planning to sell or serve alcohol at a one-time special occasion such as a social, charity fundraiser or wedding reception. A permit is needed anytime alcohol is offered for sale or served anywhere other than in a licensed establishment or in a private residence.

Effective April 1, 2014, we’ve modernized many rules for socials, including eliminating bottle and brand limits, legitimizing “perfume” raffles and  simplifying the permit application. The social occasion permit that has always been required to serve liquor at socials now includes a raffle option if you intend to hold a fundraising raffle at your event.

If you are planning to have a raffle such as a 50/50 or player’s choice draw at your event, and you are applying for a liquor permit, you simply need to check off the box that asks if you are holding a raffle. There is no extra charge to apply for a raffle licence and no financial reporting is required. Click here for information about social occasion raffles.

You can apply for a social occasion permit:

  • at our LGA Permit Department at Unit 10 – 1146 Waverley Street
  • at any Liquor Mart, liquor vendor or specialty wine store

Please apply at least 10 business days before your event. If you apply at a Liquor Mart, liquor vendor or specialty wine store, you must return to pick up your liquor after your permit is issued.


The LGA receives many questions from individuals and groups who want to clarify that their social occasion fundraising follows Manitoba’s laws. Click here to view the current “top three” questions about drinks or drink tickets as prizes, and about the types of games that can be licensed for social occasion events.

Still have questions? Please visit for a list of frequently asked questions. You can also email our Permit Department or contact us at 204-474-5666 or toll-free at 1-888-898-6522.